Hello friends and followers! In case you’re wondering, I did not disappear off the face of the earth. I stopped posting back in July because life got too busy, too suddenly. I’m sorry! I’m not sure when I’ll be posting TOP 5s again, but you can find me in many other places until then!
These days, you’ll find me blogging over at Thefty:
I’m also on Pinterest, @theftypins
On Pinterest you’ll find images that inspire me (spanning fields of science, humour, a silly amount of food, and of course colours and patterns).
You can also find me on Twitter and on Facebook.
Let’s keep in touch please. I’ve missed you.
Posted by thefty on 02/10/2012
Here’s a good-looking hit of caffeine to get you through your day. (I’ll take a #4 to go, please.) Enjoy!
1. Hot Coffee Splash in an Ed Hardy mug. By Thomas.
2. Coffee at high frequency. Isn’t this awesome? By David Melchor Diaz.
3. How to make dry cappuccino. A delicious doodle by Hyoin Min.
4. Chocolate-coffee cupcakes with mocha ganache and mascarpone cream. GIMME! By Chotda.
5. Coffee cup cookies. By DistopianDreamGirl.
Posted by thefty on 22/06/2012
I’m having a very sleepy Thursday, so decided to make ‘TOP 5: Sleepy’. However, the bed-related photos that caught my eye were far more…energetic than I was anticipating. Here they are:
1. Siesta, by Jenna Kristina Nilsson.
2. Aerial Roll. By Zoe J.
3. Shady bed jump. By Gemma Bou.
4. Starburst Comes in Assorted Flavours. By Scott Joseph.
5. Time To Go To Bed. From here.
Posted by thefty on 21/06/2012
When I began searching for images of planets, I wasn’t expecting this. Aren’t they cool? I like the idea of creating a galaxy of impossible planets, made of whatever you like (in my case, a massive sandwich).
1. A concrete world. By Klaus Friese.
2. A polar panoramic photo by Hans Brinker. Beautiful.
3. Planet Reykjavik, by Nate Bolt.
4. A twisted planet, created using the Bonnemaison transform. Photo by fdecomite.
5. Dhonveli Lagoon Planet. By Sleepy Chinchilla.
I wouldn’t mind spending a week on planet #5 right now. SIGH.
Posted by thefty on 20/06/2012
I love it when the edges are blurred between art and science. Here are five intricate images captured down the lens of a microscope.
1. Gingko biloba leaf stalk 16x. By Eckhard Völcker
2. Rhizome of a stinging nettle 10x. By Eckhard Völcker
3. Onion root meristem (aka the bit where growth happens) 20x. By Blue Ridge Kitties
4. The beautiful cross section of a stem. By Shihchuan.
5. Red geranium petals 400x. By Umberto Savagnin.
Posted by thefty on 19/06/2012
Santorini is usually depicted as a blaze of colour. However, the beautiful Greek island has more than one face. Santorini has cool mornings, crisp shadows, and a million lungfuls of fresh sea air. Breathe in!
1. The land of red sunsets on a pale blue day. By Pilab.
2. Gone With The Wind. By Klearchos Kapoutsis.
3. Shadowy summer steps. By Jose y Eva
4. Small souvenirs. By Klearchos Kapoutsis.
5. Sun baked earth/cool shadows. By Wolfgang Staudt
These photos make me homesick.
Posted by thefty on 15/06/2012
A funny little bunch of oddly huggable villains. Which is your favourite?
1. Alien bug-man villain. By ToadLickr
2. ‘Evil monkey from the movie about the evil monkey’. By Jason Scragz
3. A masked rider villain. By ToadLickr
4. An evil home-made egghead. By JD Hancock
5. Super Nugg and Evil Nugg: Chicken Nugget Mushies (not sure what those are!) by Saint Angel.
Posted by thefty on 14/06/2012
My sweet tooth is very, very large. However, my eye for sweets is even larger – I can’t resist the array of beautiful colours and shapes.
1. Pinks and peaches
2. A pastel army of Peeps.
3. A sea of rainbow sprinkles.
4. Arm Candy.
5. Lifesavers and Lifesaver shadows.
Which is your favourite kind of sweet? I can’t even decide, but I’m definitely a fan of Watermelon Chupa Chups.
Posted by thefty on 13/06/2012
Swirls, leaves, lines and flourishes: I love the old-fashioned use of decorative touches on functional items. Aren’t these beautiful?
1. An elaborate letter A. From here.
2. A beautiful little ad. From Paper Scraps.
3. An ornate texture, from PlayingWithBrushes Flickr feed.
4. Printed initials in rich black. From here.
5. A bold yet delicate border. From PlayingWithBrushes.
Posted by thefty on 12/06/2012
Oh man, just take me to a place where the light is golden. London’s greys are fine in January, but in June they destroy me.
1. ‘Last of The Summer (Wine)’. By Bethan.
2. ‘Siamesina’. By Rufus Gefangenen.
3. ‘Good Morning’. By Frank Wuestefeld.
4. ‘Lake Point Tower Chicago’. By Reto Fetz.
5. ‘Bagan Balloons’. By Martin Sojka.
I hope you’re all some place warm and bright.
Posted by thefty on 11/06/2012
There are many kinds of brownie, all of them sweet:
1. Twin sisters with Brownies sweaters. By Naomi Campbell
2. Oreo and peanut butter brownie cakes, by Tirzah.
3. Coca-Cola Brownie Starflash Camera. By John Kratz.
4. ‘Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies and other supernatural creatures.’ Photo by John Keogh.
5. Brownie Baking by Hyoin Min.
Posted by thefty on 08/06/2012
I found these images by using Multicolor Search Lab. Have you ever used it? If you like playing with colours, you’re in for a proper treat.
1. Bright yellow flowers in punk bursts, by Crystal A Murray.
2. ‘Mythologie.ch’ by _underscore
3. Created using GlitchMonkey, by Juan Antonio Zamarripa
4. Rust-O-Vision by Tim.
5. Torn, but alive. By Aftab Uzzaman.
Posted by thefty on 07/06/2012
On Sunday, I volunteered at the Alternative Village Fete at Battersea Park, organised by Home Live Art.
Together with artists Harold Offeh and Barby Asante, the team of volunteer make-up artists, stylists and photographers created the Bling Jubilee Court. We dressed the public up as ‘Queens of the COMMON-wealth’, then led to a stage and photographed before an adoring crowd (photos over here). Here are 5 of my favourite shots from the day!
1. Our boudoircontained about 50 wigs, a tonne of make-up, a pile of stick-on mustaches, and 2 long rails of dress up clothes. Naturally, we tried it all on.
2. Two of our dress-up queens. Disco Queens, to be precise.
3. A rainbow of eyeshadow.
4. A gorgeous drag queen popped in to say hello.
5. Harold getting his make-up done.
You can see the full set of my photos over on my Facebook page.
Oh, and I promise this is my last Jubilee-related post!
Posted by thefty on 06/06/2012
I love tea parties. I do. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee is just an extra excuse to throw one, as far as I’m concerned. If you’re not convinced, hopefully these images will twist your arm:
1. These teacup and teapot rings can be bought separately, but they clearly belong together. By JodiaAnna.
2. This is a seriously elaborate set of paper cake toppers! I love it. By 3 Blonde Bears.
3. This photo was taken by me, peering into one of the window displays at Harrods. I wanted to jump right in.
4. If you’re up for a slightly subversive Jubilee weekend, you can by a Queen jelly mould, some royal temporary tattoos…and also some sick bags, in case things get out of hand. All by Lydia Leith.
5. A set of teabags from The Cake Nest. The queen’s in very good (if occasionally fictional) company!
Have a lovely Jubilee weekend, wherever you are!
Posted by thefty on 01/06/2012
Hot v. Cold / Fire v. Water
I swear, colour is my favourite thing.
1. By Ned Raggett
2. By Roland Tanglao
3. By Karla Lopez
4. By Leo Reynolds
5. By Andrey Okonetchnikov
Posted by thefty on 31/05/2012