There are many kinds of brownie, all of them sweet:
1. Twin sisters with Brownies sweaters. By Naomi Campbell
2. Oreo and peanut butter brownie cakes, by Tirzah.
3. Coca-Cola Brownie Starflash Camera. By John Kratz.
4. ‘Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies and other supernatural creatures.’ Photo by John Keogh.
5. Brownie Baking by Hyoin Min.
Posted by thefty on 08/06/2012
Last night I dreamt I was making meringues. This makes sense given that I’ve been drawing baked goods for two days straight*. I’ve now woken up with an intense craving for baked goods, as well as the joy of the mixing and baking that comes before the eating. Enjoy:
1. Making pizza dough: Yeast in the bowl.
2. Making frosting: Butter, icing sugar, rose syrup in the bowl.
3. Making meringue cake: Hazelnuts, egg whites, sugar in the bowls.
4. Making brownies: Butter, dark chocolate, sugar and flour in the bowl.
5. Making gooey muffins: Yoghurt, cocoa, eggs and sugar in the bowl.
*I’m working on a couple of art projects which involve cakes. Here’s a sneak peak at one of them.
Posted by thefty on 23/06/2011
I really like Eurovision, and I really like baking. This year, I decided to combine these two passions, because I’m wild like that. Below are the results.
1. United Kingdom Cupcakes. Note colour scheme and royal platter. Oh yes.
2. Next year I’m totally making Jedward cupcakes.
3. Greek cupcakes. (You shoulda seen my face when I found these flags.)
4. Cyprus didn’t compete, but that’s where I’m from so I had to represent!
5. This is a shot of everyone stuffing their faces. Mission accomplished.
Posted by thefty on 16/05/2011
I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. It has bright yellow walls which multiply the sunshine, and it’s full of ingredients for making baked goods.
1. Reaching for the bottom shelf (the top shelf’s only got crackers).
2. Sadly, this is not my kitchen.
3. Nothing like a bit of retro glamour before breakfast.
4. My doodle to the lyrics of Regina Spektor’s song.
5. My kitchen before thanksgiving dinner. (there was enough time for posing.)
Posted by thefty on 20/04/2011
Cake tastes better when you’ve made it yourself. Don’t you think?
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a very big bowl.
2. Put your little cakes into a hot, hot oven.
3. Check that your skewer comes out perfectly clean.
4. Pile on the frosting.
5. Gobble them up!
If you’re in the mood for baking, check out this recipe, and also this one and this one. Enjoy!
Posted by thefty on 01/03/2011
I enjoy baking cakes as much as I enjoy eating them. I often round up a couple of friends and, together, we make an impressive mess in the kitchen. Other times, I bake alone late at night or early in the morning, just because I find it calming. There is no doubt: Baking times are good times.
1. That time we improvised a mango polenta cake recipe.
2. That time we bought fresh bagels which we smelt from a mile away.
3.That time we got creative with the flour.
4. That time I made a giant batch of vanilla cupcakes on a Saturday morning.
5. That time I bought too many sweet potatoes and baked them into muffins.
Posted by thefty on 15/10/2010
Hello! Collective 5 is a weekly feature consisting of readers’ photos. Anyone can join in! All details, including next week’s theme, can be found here.
This week is the 10th week of COLLECTIVE 5, and to celebrate I organised a little giveaway. Congratulations, Katy! You’re the winner! Katy’s suggested theme was ‘upside down’. You’ll see her theme come up at some point, along with many of the other amazing and slightly crazy themes you guys came up with. Thanks so much for your ideas!
This week’s photos, in no particular order:
1. Karan Grover likes his marzipan to have eyes.
2. Laura Sauls submitted this incredible Pi Pie, made for pie week.
3. Scottish fudge-iced, vanilla-custard-filled doughnuts. By Gayle Lazda.
4. French Fancies, by Hannah Asprey.
5. A strawberry cream puff from The Choux Factory, NYC. By Alison Heller.
Now, go forth and send me photos!
Posted by thefty on 19/03/2010
I think about breakfast while I’m in bed, every night. Funnily enough, I don’t dream up extravagant feasts involving piles of pancakes and velvety hot chocolates. No. I generally fantasise about hot toast.
1. This is the kind of breakfast daydreams should be made of. Recipe here.
2. The grimiest breakfast in town.
3. A simple breakfast for two: papaya halves and sweet potato muffins.
4. I don’t know what we were thinking here. I think it was ‘HUNGRY. FOOD.’
5. The best breakfast is the kind that requires you to use at least 3 spoons.
p.s. Don’t forget to submit your photos to this week’s COLLECTIVE 5!
Posted by thefty on 17/02/2010
In no particular order:
1. I love my mum’s red kitchen scales and retro tins of cocoa.
2. My muffin pans (after making a batch of sweet-potato muffins).
3. A detail of my painting.
4. A cake-related incident, forever immortalised in a doodle.
5. Sitting outside at the Hummingbird Bakery, London.
Posted by thefty on 25/09/2009
In no particular order:
1. Crochet cupcakes by Kate Jenkins. She crochets loads of foodstuffs.
2. Fresh cupcakes for sale at Spitalfields market, London.
3. The giant cupcake at covent garden. (I wonder how they baked it.)
4. Mini cupcakes on a very mini stove. How painfully cute.
5. Swanfield is on tour, and it’s taking cupcakes with it.
Posted by thefty on 13/08/2009