I love it when the edges are blurred between art and science. Here are five intricate images captured down the lens of a microscope.
1. Gingko biloba leaf stalk 16x. By Eckhard Völcker
2. Rhizome of a stinging nettle 10x. By Eckhard Völcker
3. Onion root meristem (aka the bit where growth happens) 20x. By Blue Ridge Kitties
4. The beautiful cross section of a stem. By Shihchuan.
5. Red geranium petals 400x. By Umberto Savagnin.
Posted by thefty on 19/06/2012
My sweet tooth is very, very large. However, my eye for sweets is even larger – I can’t resist the array of beautiful colours and shapes.
1. Pinks and peaches
2. A pastel army of Peeps.
3. A sea of rainbow sprinkles.
4. Arm Candy.
5. Lifesavers and Lifesaver shadows.
Which is your favourite kind of sweet? I can’t even decide, but I’m definitely a fan of Watermelon Chupa Chups.
Posted by thefty on 13/06/2012
‘I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.’
1. A colour-burst mural. Photo by Conall O’Brien.
2. ‘A Rainbow of Flavours’, by Cris.
3. A kitten with a rainbow aura. By Stuart Crawford.
4. A technicolour spectrum of thread, taken by me at Liberty.
5. Flip Flops by Betsy.
Posted by thefty on 30/04/2012
This is one of my favourite colours:
1. My favourite vintage skirt.
2. Bunches of over saturated tulips.
3. Too beautiful to eat… but I still ate it.
4. The walls of the Fashion and Textile Museum.
5. Bright, punchy azaleas.
Posted by thefty on 26/04/2012
Crustaceans: crabs, lobsters, crayfish, krill and barnacles. Sometimes tasty, always good looking! Here are five images for your delectation:
1. I saw this lobster trinket box at the Brussels Flea Market. I should’ve bought it. (From my Flickr)
2. A Sally Lightfoot crab, by Max Westby. Those colours!
3. I took this photo last weekend, by the seaside.
4. A rainbow Mantis Shrimp. What an absolute beauty. By Klaus Stiefel
5. This is my drawing. Yes, I did have a pet crayfish. (His name was Sebastian.)
Speaking of prawns, I highly recommend this video.
Posted by thefty on 28/03/2012
I carry my camera with me at all times, and I seem to have a thing for photographing shop windows. I can’t help it! I love the clutter and colour and all of the little details! All of these photos were taken by me, and you can see larger versions on my Flickr feed.
1. A colourful corner store in Brussels.
2. Double Dolls at Topshop on Oxford Circus, London.
3. Frosted Windows at the Sunday Upmarket, Brick Lane.
4. Glitter on Piccadilly (That’s the Royal Academy of Arts reflected in the windows of Fortnum & Mason). You can buy this as a print.
5. Lebanese Sweets on Edgeware Road.
You can see more window dressings over here.
Posted by thefty on 01/03/2012
It has been a fluoro kind of day. These doodles are part of a series by my friend Lili (aka Leonore). She drew them on a single train ride and then gave them to me. Here are my TOP 5:
1. The erotic bunny.
2. The troubled elephant.
3. The snobby waterbird.
4. The mama’s boy goat. (Is it a goat?)
5. The hungry bear.
Lili and I became friends years ago, thanks to a mutual love for scribbling and junk shops. check out more of her writings and scrawlings here.
Posted by thefty on 12/07/2011
I love finding pattern and repetition in my surroundings:
1. Concentric circles inside a grapefruit.
2. Plates, cups, table = circles on circle.
3. Holes in the ground.
4. Tea cup rims, and saucer rims too.
5. Mini lemon tarts.
Posted by thefty on 20/06/2011
Hello! This is my entry to this Year’s GTech Driven Creativity Competition. I’ve named this photo ”The Approach’, as it depicts a boat preparing to dock. You can read more about the photo here, and if you like it, you can even vote for me. (I would be eternally grateful if you did!)
I’d recommend checking out the other entries as well – there are some pretty great ones in the fields of photography, music and film.
Posted by thefty on 15/06/2011
The weather in London was incredible this weekend. I spent the afternoon at home, with friends, eating and drinking on the balcony. It was one of those days which I’ll remember for a long time:
1. Bare legs, fresh air, and a fragrant blooming geranium.
2. Pitcher after pitcher of iced lemon water (plus the odd splash of Jamaican rum).
3. Strong light and dramatic shadows (not to mention excellent frocks).
4. Happy colours and chilled fruit salad. (And Nutella.)
Of course, in true London style, it is now Monday morning and it’s raining.
Posted by thefty on 06/06/2011
These photos were taken in Latchi, a town on the west coast of Cyprus. I’d had a very good fish lunch directly before taking these photos, so I was happy and content. I hope you enjoy them.
1. A jumble of technicolour plastic.
2. Colours, colours everywhere!
3. Test strokes made when painting boats.
5. Clean lines and fresh paint.
Posted by thefty on 03/06/2011
The roses on my street are blooming, so I’ve got flowers on the brain.
1. Felt flowers for your lapel (or your hair).
2. Pastel petals (for the bees, mainly).
3. Painted petals (I wish this was my window).
4. A skirtful of petals + a fistful of petals
5. These are my lips seen through a teleidoscope.
Posted by thefty on 11/05/2011
I don’t really like how wine tastes, but I love how it looks:
1. Looking down a wine glass.
2. The Kyrenia shipwreck was found with 400 ancient jars of wine aboard.
4. Wine coloured carpet.
5. In the news.
Posted by thefty on 06/05/2011
Hello! COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly project involving readers’ photos. Anyone can join in! The rules, as well as next week’s COLLECTIVE 5 theme, can be found over here.
Here are this week’s photos:
1. Some radiant blooms by Gareth Dickson.
2. Flame Child. By Eleanor Bennett.
3. Feeding Time. By Yvonne Christie.
4. Down the Road. By Randy Kightlinger.
5. Queen’s Day Dutch Celebrations. By Claire Harrop.
Click here if you’d like to join in next week! Come on, join in!
Posted by thefty on 08/10/2010