On Sunday, I volunteered at the Alternative Village Fete at Battersea Park, organised by Home Live Art.
Together with artists Harold Offeh and Barby Asante, the team of volunteer make-up artists, stylists and photographers created the Bling Jubilee Court. We dressed the public up as ‘Queens of the COMMON-wealth’, then led to a stage and photographed before an adoring crowd (photos over here). Here are 5 of my favourite shots from the day!
1. Our boudoircontained about 50 wigs, a tonne of make-up, a pile of stick-on mustaches, and 2 long rails of dress up clothes. Naturally, we tried it all on.
2. Two of our dress-up queens. Disco Queens, to be precise.
3. A rainbow of eyeshadow.
4. A gorgeous drag queen popped in to say hello.
5. Harold getting his make-up done.
You can see the full set of my photos over on my Facebook page.
Oh, and I promise this is my last Jubilee-related post!
Posted by thefty on 06/06/2012
On Saturday, I went to The Animal Party, hosted by the Last Tuesday Society. The tagline for the event was ‘dress like a beast, dance like a beast’, and, needless to say, I took a lot of pictures:
1. Mister Crocodile took up a lot of space on the dancefloor, but we forgave him because he looked amazing.
2.Meet Mister Barn Owl (note the white braces, feathered capelet and crow on his shoulder).
3. Fedora and red glasses? Nice move, bumblebee.
4. Yes, ladies and gents, that’s eight legs and eight eyes you’re seeing.
5. Little Miss Sharkhead
You can see more of my photos from the event here (including a unicorn and a kangaroo rodeo).
Posted by thefty on 13/03/2012
Last week, I attended Secret Cinema, which involves ‘screening mystery films in extraordinary locations’ in London. Attendees were instructed to dress up as bedouins and head to a meeting point in the park. We went on a long pilgrimage which culminated in a screening of Lawrence of Arabia in the grand Alexandra Palace. A glorious, glorious day. Sign up and take part next month!
1. London bedouins drink pints.
2. London bedouins parade their camels through leafy parks.
3. London bedouins like neon.
4. London Bedouins coo over donkeys.
5. London bedouins would blend in in Damascus, sometimes.
p.s. COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly photo project involving your photos. Click here to join in.
Posted by thefty on 14/09/2010
Hello! COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly feature involving photos submitted by readers. Anyone can contribute! The rules, as well as next week’s COLLECTIVE 5 theme, can be found over here.
1. Shot In The Face, by Ian Tillotson.
2. Carnival, by Gayle Lazda.
3. Luminous eyes and fangs in a glass. Thanks, George Papas.
4. Geisha In Gion, by Abi Lucy.
5. A pair of puppies, by Nikos Zarb.
If you’d like to take part in next week’s COLLECTIVE 5, click here.
Posted by thefty on 18/06/2010