Here’s a good-looking hit of caffeine to get you through your day. (I’ll take a #4 to go, please.) Enjoy!
1. Hot Coffee Splash in an Ed Hardy mug. By Thomas.
2. Coffee at high frequency. Isn’t this awesome? By David Melchor Diaz.
3. How to make dry cappuccino. A delicious doodle by Hyoin Min.
4. Chocolate-coffee cupcakes with mocha ganache and mascarpone cream. GIMME! By Chotda.
5. Coffee cup cookies. By DistopianDreamGirl.
Posted by thefty on 22/06/2012
My sweet tooth is very, very large. However, my eye for sweets is even larger – I can’t resist the array of beautiful colours and shapes.
1. Pinks and peaches
2. A pastel army of Peeps.
3. A sea of rainbow sprinkles.
4. Arm Candy.
5. Lifesavers and Lifesaver shadows.
Which is your favourite kind of sweet? I can’t even decide, but I’m definitely a fan of Watermelon Chupa Chups.
Posted by thefty on 13/06/2012
There are many kinds of brownie, all of them sweet:
1. Twin sisters with Brownies sweaters. By Naomi Campbell
2. Oreo and peanut butter brownie cakes, by Tirzah.
3. Coca-Cola Brownie Starflash Camera. By John Kratz.
4. ‘Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies and other supernatural creatures.’ Photo by John Keogh.
5. Brownie Baking by Hyoin Min.
Posted by thefty on 08/06/2012
Matcha is a brilliant green powder made from ground green tea leaves. I’ve been intrigued by it since I stumbled upon this recipe for Matcha panda bread, which is funny given that I don’t particularly like drinking green tea. (I do like pandas, though.)
1. Vanilla and Matcha whoopie pies by Sylvia. I very much want to eat one.
2. A can of iced green tea. Very peaceful, apparently. By Shanon Wise.
3. Semi-sweet green tea candy from Japan. Photo by Andrew Magill.
4. Green tea and red bean Kit Kat! From Japan, of course. By Selva.
5. Green Tea Frappuccino Bento box. By Sakurako Kitsa.
Which one do you want to eat?
Posted by thefty on 18/05/2012
I’m on a roll with vintage imagery at the moment. After I found the first image, I had to keep digging for more soup gold! Enjoy them.
1. Lipton’s Sip’n'sup! Looks pretty watery but the colours and soup dishes are beautiful! By Alsis35
2. My Matzos ball soup is looking at me! Photo by Bart.
3. Man, they wore anything in the 60s. By Wackystuff.
4. Instant Rosehip Soup. Only in Sweden? (I really want to try some.) From Justin Kerr Sheckler.
5. Soup kitchen boys. A flea market find by Luise.
Posted by thefty on 03/05/2012
Today is Shrove Tuesday, aka pancake day. If you’re having pancakes for dinner tonight (and you should be), I recommend these cinnamon-bun pancakes, and these vanilla-cinnamon pancakes with berries. (Yes, I really like cinnamon.)
1. My thoughts exactly. Incidentally, this is what Betty Crocker looks like in my head.
2. Oh, elephant pancake, you are a thing of beauty. Syrupy, doughy beauty. (Photo by Anne Wedlendt)
3. A Japanese crepe truck, by Tim Arai.
4. Flippin’ Mastery, by Ffion. I’ve got the flippin’ envy (I always make someone else do it).
5. This was my friend Olivier’s brunch plan, with everything written in singular. ‘Bean’ just about killed me (with laughter), and I asked to keep his list for my future amusement. (It’s sad that ‘pancake’ did not make the cut.)
Posted by thefty on 21/02/2012
According to the BBC, a toast sandwich is the UK’s cheapest meal. Apparently, it can taste pretty good if it is well-seasoned and well-buttered…but if you’re already seasoning and buttering, you may as well add a slab of avocado and a nice bit of ham. Don’t you think? I do.
1. Each to their own. From here.
2. Halfway through my glorious salt beef beigel. (Photo from my Flickr.)
3. A Unicorn Sandwich: Delicious and magical. Illustration by Kathryn Macnaughton
4. Oh my. I haven’t had a jam sandwich in years, and now I’m very ready for one. (I’ve got three pots of my mum’s home-made jam in the fridge, and now I know what’s for lunch.)
5. I didn’t know Jude worked at Subway. Huh. From here.
Posted by thefty on 13/02/2012
So, it’s National Chocolate Day according to Twitter (that reliable fountain of wisdom). I’m taking the mob’s word for it, because this is not the sort of fact I want to doubt. Happy Chocolate Day, everyone!
1. Chocolate mustaches! the best thing about these is that you can order them online (click here).
2. Big whoop(ie)! I love how he’s holding it casually, like it’s just a Big Mac, no big deal. From here.
3. This mug is leading me to temptation. From here.
4. Strawberry chocolate truffles. That colour is spectacular. You can buy these over here.
5. A double-chocolate thing of beauty. It’s freezing in London and ice cream is the last thing I want…so this is for those of you in sunny places. From here.
And one more thing for the Nutella fans out there: CLICK HERE (but be prepared to gasp in delight).
Posted by thefty on 09/02/2012
Pizza! Pizza! Pizza! I don’t really have anything else to say!
1. Pizza! With an egg in the middle!
2. My boyfriend’s creation, including tinned sausages. *shakes head*
3. Made from scratch: red peppers, tomatoes, and speck
4. Candy pizza!
5. MORE PIZZA
What are your favourite toppings?
Posted by thefty on 12/09/2011
I am going to Cyprus at the end of this week, and I am anticipating a lot of good, home-cooked food. I can already smell it.
1. Tomatoes, basil and salty black olives.
2. A sprig of fresh Greek thyme.
3. Beautiful sardines in the oven.
4. Colourful peppers strung up at the market.
5. Crispy garlic baby Octopus eaten in Sitges, Spain.
Fresh! Fresh! Fresh!
Posted by thefty on 16/08/2011
I do love a bit of sugar. Oh yes, I really do.
1. That’s white chocolate. For reals, yo.
2. Bubblegum flavoured ice-cream, for a sugar overload.
3. Lyrics to one of my favourite songs.
4. Childhood dreams in paper bags.
5. My boyfriend has had this gobstopper for way too long. Yuck!
p.s. I hope you’ve joined my prizedraw! Click here!
Posted by thefty on 12/08/2011
I went out for brunch yesterday, and sat next to a friend who ordered the most delicious-looking croque madame (like a croque monsieur but with an egg on top). Consequently, I’ve been thinking about eggs:
1. My lazy version of an omelette: Chuck everything in the pan and wait.
2. Softish egg with fried tomatoes and smoked salmon.
3. ‘Little Fry-up’, a painting by Ansel Krut in the Saatchi Gallery.
4. Soft boiled egg in a fluoro cup.
5. The croque madame that inspired this post. Yum.
Is it just me, or is TOP 5 turning into a food blog? Ha.
Posted by thefty on 04/07/2011
Greece has been in the news a lot lately, and not for good reasons. As someone who is Greek, and who spent their entire adolescence in Athens, this national unrest makes me feel heavy. The Greece I know is very different to the riot-zone depicted on TV. When I think of Greece, I think of the summer. I remember the warmth and calm, the flat blue sea and sky, and of course, the food. Beyond the smoke of Syntagma square this is what you’ll find:
1. The vibrance of a simple summer salad.
2. Families eating by the sea, sharing food from the centre of the table.
3. Fresh, seasonal fruit. I miss the local fruit markets!
4. Local tavernas in inner-city Athens, where the waiters know your name.
5. Octopi slowly drying in the sun, until they reach chewy perfection.
Oh, Greece. Oh, Greece.
Posted by thefty on 30/06/2011