Santorini is usually depicted as a blaze of colour. However, the beautiful Greek island has more than one face. Santorini has cool mornings, crisp shadows, and a million lungfuls of fresh sea air. Breathe in!
1. The land of red sunsets on a pale blue day. By Pilab.
2. Gone With The Wind. By Klearchos Kapoutsis.
3. Shadowy summer steps. By Jose y Eva
4. Small souvenirs. By Klearchos Kapoutsis.
5. Sun baked earth/cool shadows. By Wolfgang Staudt
These photos make me homesick.
Posted by thefty on 15/06/2012
Oh man, just take me to a place where the light is golden. London’s greys are fine in January, but in June they destroy me.
1. ‘Last of The Summer (Wine)’. By Bethan.
2. ‘Siamesina’. By Rufus Gefangenen.
3. ‘Good Morning’. By Frank Wuestefeld.
4. ‘Lake Point Tower Chicago’. By Reto Fetz.
5. ‘Bagan Balloons’. By Martin Sojka.
I hope you’re all some place warm and bright.
Posted by thefty on 11/06/2012
London skies have been very grey lately, and I’m craving a bit of blue. Here are five blue-skied photos from my archives:
1. Spanish seas mirroring Spanish skies.
2. Bermondsey evening lights.
3. London on a crisp spring day.
4. My (admittedly filthy) skylight.
5. Bristol blues.
You can see more of my photos on my Flickr.
Posted by thefty on 15/05/2012
Greece has been in the news a lot lately, and not for good reasons. As someone who is Greek, and who spent their entire adolescence in Athens, this national unrest makes me feel heavy. The Greece I know is very different to the riot-zone depicted on TV. When I think of Greece, I think of the summer. I remember the warmth and calm, the flat blue sea and sky, and of course, the food. Beyond the smoke of Syntagma square this is what you’ll find:
1. The vibrance of a simple summer salad.
2. Families eating by the sea, sharing food from the centre of the table.
3. Fresh, seasonal fruit. I miss the local fruit markets!
4. Local tavernas in inner-city Athens, where the waiters know your name.
5. Octopi slowly drying in the sun, until they reach chewy perfection.
Oh, Greece. Oh, Greece.
Posted by thefty on 30/06/2011
The London sun has been good to us this week. In fact, it’s so warm right now that I’m blogging in my underwear. Here are my offerings to the weather gods, in the hope that our summer lasts longer:
1. A massive jug of Pimm’s and an enormous picnic blanket.
2. A creamy but refreshing raspberry and mascarpone layer cake.
3. Outdoor dining: Marinated meats thrown onto the barbeque.
4. A chilled grapefruit for breakfast.
5. Ice-cream, eaten anywhere and anyhow.
p.s. I got tan lines yesterday.
Posted by thefty on 27/06/2011
I grew up in sun-drenched lands, where bright summers are taken for granted. In England (where I live now), the promise of summer is quite often broken. Perhaps this is why I meticulously record each snatch of sun I get.
1. Sun penetrating plastic.
2. long, hot shadows.
3. London summertime.
4. I dare you to stare.
5. Warm concrete.
Posted by thefty on 15/06/2011
The weather in London was incredible this weekend. I spent the afternoon at home, with friends, eating and drinking on the balcony. It was one of those days which I’ll remember for a long time:
1. Bare legs, fresh air, and a fragrant blooming geranium.
2. Pitcher after pitcher of iced lemon water (plus the odd splash of Jamaican rum).
3. Strong light and dramatic shadows (not to mention excellent frocks).
4. Happy colours and chilled fruit salad. (And Nutella.)
Of course, in true London style, it is now Monday morning and it’s raining.
Posted by thefty on 06/06/2011
Hello! COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly project involving readers’ photos. Anyone can join in! The rules, as well as next week’s COLLECTIVE 5 theme, can be found over here.
Here are this week’s (massively overdue) photos:
1. A sunny afternoon, by Leonore Schick.
2. Angolan Haze, by Richard Mundy.
3. Sunrise Tsaobis, by Caitlin Douglas.
4. A bright Boston day, by Randy Kightlinger.
5. ’Some people just hide from the Sunny Days!’, by Nikos Zarb.
My apologies for taking so long to post this album. It has been a crazy few weeks! In order to build up the COLLECTIVE 5 momentum again, I’ve made the next theme a little bit…different. Click here to check it out! (Come on, don’t be shy!)
Posted by thefty on 27/05/2011
Good weather makes me want to burst into song.
1. Regent’s Park, London.
2. Hyde Park, London.
3. St. James’ Park, London.
4. University Parks, Oxford.
5. Holland Park, London.
Posted by thefty on 09/05/2011
Because it’s summer in Australia.
1. Near Bristol, 6pm, September.
2. My living room, 3pm, December.
3. Oxford, 4pm, June.
4. The Greek island of Ios, 5pm, July.
5. London, 3pm, November.
I like a white Christmas, but a yellow one would be just as nice.
Posted by thefty on 27/12/2010
Architecturally speaking, Ios is a quintessential Greek island. I visited this year and could not stop taking pictures. I loved the clean lines and the bold contrast between blues, whites, and earthy browns.
p.s. COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly photo project involving your photos. Click here to join in.
Posted by thefty on 11/08/2010
As far as I’m concerned, there is no point in summer if the beach is not involved. There is no pleasure in heat without the relief of cool, clear water. I guess this is why summer makes me homesick… for places that are no longer my home.
1. If I could choose, I’d be the gent at the back, wedged into the pink donut.
2. Don’t you wish you were here? Oh yes, I know you do.
3. As my dad would say, I just wanna drink that water.
4. Some people manage to look like a Greek goddess at the beach. Sigh.
5. And lastly, here are some happy beach legs.
p.s. COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly photo project that I’d love you to take part in. Click here to read all about it!
Posted by thefty on 29/07/2010
Oxford: Small but perfectly formed. I really miss this town.
1. Take a stroll with a bike in one hand and an ice-cream in the other.
2. Gaze at the Radcliffe Camera under majestic blue skies.
3. Hire a punt and float down the river. (Pimm’s and strawberries optional.)
4. Laze about on manicured lawns.
5. Watch the students celebrate the end of exam season.
p.s. COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly photo project on this blog. Click here to join in!
Posted by thefty on 17/07/2010
Summer in England is an entirely different beast to the one I grew up with. For me, the summer months must be consistently (and scorchingly) hot in order for them to count. However, I’ve come to appreciate the English summer. Indeed, I’ve concluded that when the sun is shining, London is the best place in the world.
1. The roses of May which are still brightly in bloom.
2. Lazing the day away on the grass.
3. Juice, wet bowlfuls of berries.
4. Jugfuls of Pimm’s and lemonade.
5. Long evenings spent in a park.
p.s. Would you like to take part in COLLECTIVE 5? It’s a weekly photo project published weekly on this blog. Click here to submit a photo!
Posted by thefty on 28/06/2010
This is what summer feels like.
1. Soft, buttery light.
2. Delicate, luminous embriodery.
3. Floating tealights and glowing gerberas.
4. Rich, amber beer.
5. The kind of evening that dreams are made of.
P.S. COLLECTIVE 5 is a weekly photo project published on this blog. Submit a photo and join in!
Posted by thefty on 25/06/2010