I like taking photos on escalators. I seem to be drawn to the bold lines and colours, as well as the shiny surfaces and glowing neon lights. Here are five of my favourites, presented without comment.
I took these pictures in various locations, in London and Athens. Photographs of urban spaces always strike me as eerie, but it’s an eeriness I adore.
Posted by thefty on 10/05/2012
I like the way urban jungles make room for nature.
What can I say? I’m a tree hugging city dweller.
Posted by thefty on 07/02/2011
Posted by thefty on 07/10/2010
|‘SOMETHING there is that doesn’t love a wall,
|That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
|And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
|And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.’
From Mending Wall, by Robert Frost.
1. Blocks of paint.
2. Bricks, juxtaposed.
3. Tarnished layers of paper and metallic paint.
4. A blunt facade.
5. Something there is that doesn’t love a wall, indeed.
p.s. Have you taken part in the weekly photo collaboration project yet? Click here to read more.
Posted by thefty on 15/04/2010
Can you find me a straight line in nature? I’d love to see it. One of my university lecturers once commented that our urban environment is full of rectangles, but that there is no such thing in the man-free world. Interesting, no?
1. The Golgen Hall Mall, Athens, is a shiny shiny criscross of escalators.
2. A snapshot of a stairwell, in all its jagged-lined glory.
3. Some spectacular geometric wallpaper.
4. Sharp lines cutting across the soft blue sky.
5. In the city, even the shadows are a zigzag.
p.s. Don’t forget about COLLECTIVE 5! This week’s theme is seriously good (and fairly easy) so make sure to submit a photo.
Posted by thefty on 16/03/2010
The urban landscape can be simultaneously impressive and depressive. Don’t you think?
1. Metal, metal, pipes and fumes.
2. Shining, gleaming, movement.
3. Smog, smut and cement.
3. Well-lit spaces, tiny people.
5. Competition with the sky.
p.s. COLLECTIVE 5 needs you! Submit your photos!
Posted by thefty on 18/02/2010
These five photos were all taken on a 15 minute walk in London. Look down! there’s a lot of variety at your feet.
1. Water, gas and co.
2. This looks like a slab of fridge cake. (I’m hungry, presumably.)
3. Repeating patterns and flattened gum.
4. Some spectacular tesselation going on over here.
5. Cracks, stripes and cigarette butts.
p.s. Don’t forget to submit a photo!
Posted by thefty on 09/02/2010
I think this is what they mean by ‘beauty is everywhere’.
1. In the tunnel to the museums, South Kensington underground, London.
2. Grimy but pristine posters, Cheshire Street, London.
3. In a driveway off Little Clarendon Street, Oxford.
4. Abandoned shopfront near Victoria Square, Athens.
5. Somewhere on Odos Athinas, Athens.
p.s. Have you sent in your photo yet?
Posted by thefty on 27/01/2010
In no particular order:
1. The inner city palette.
2. Inner city camouflage.
3. Camouflage fail.
4. Grey: Not just for the city.
5. Grey: I love it.
Posted by thefty on 27/10/2009
In no particular order:
1. A letterbox.
2. Chopped-up tiles.
3. I have no idea what this is.
4. Window shadows.
5. Security grill.
Posted by thefty on 08/09/2009